Wednesday, September 25, 2019

My winter garden bed for the West Window!

WOW!

It sure didn't take long for me to start filling in this garden bed!  The lowest shelf holds two succulent fairy gardens that should enjoy a longer life this year!  Usually I've just had to compost these in the fall, growing them as annuals, due to snowbirding south for three months!  So, they will make the transition to indoors quite well and I did a good job of killing any critters that had been visiting them outdoors.  I noticed last year that even without care while I was gone several cactus plants survived the winter, so... I am looking forward to keeping these growing and saving a bit more $ in the spring!   

I've discovered Home Depot and WalMart have been stocking up their house plant departments with tons of fresh and nicely priced plants!  When I can buy a nice size indoor plant for only $2.93 I just couldn't pass them up!  I only have one African Violet so far, because I had just found a bargain container for only $3 and the perfect color violet for it for only $3.98 at Home Depot!  I still have room to add a variety of African Violets yet!  I found two unusual ferns, variety is the spice of life!  Also I've selected a variety of plant shapes to keep it interesting. 

And I can have the fun of swapping out the different varieties throughout the house all winter!  I already shifted two indoor fairy gardens from the kitchen table into here and some new plants (one coffee plants in an adorable coffee cup) into the kitchen for a change!



Now I need to find some bargain containers also! Maybe I should pick out a variety of violet flowers colors and then look for the containers to compliment the plants?  Need to add some color!    I tried a few mini rose plants but they were not happy right away so ended up in the garbage can within 10 days!  Seems like that is a familiar experience from the past?   

No comments:

Post a Comment