Friday, September 20, 2019

Kokedama!


What's a Kokedama?    Fun is what it is!

Several years ago I attended a class on making a Kokedama, with 2 other gardening friends, using a mini orchid plant!  It was fun, mine didn't live long but the others did for quite awhile!   Kokedama is a interesting way to grow and display a plant using a Japanese method.  Kokedama is a method of growing a plant in a moss ball and can be hung or displayed on a platform/container. Very attractive and interesting!

Recently, Ginni, one of our trio, decided to do a "Make and Take Kokedama Event" for a workshop put on by our garden club!  Ginni has continued to make these and even has earned some ribbons at the MN State Fair!  So when Ginni asked me to assist her,  I agreed!  It is getting close to the time to do this so I decided I'd better brush up on how to make one!  While I was potting up some Fairy Garden plants to bring in for my winter garden project, it seemed a good opportunity to experiment and see what I remembered!  I stopped at a florist to get some Sheet Moss and looked up a recipe for the soil to use!  Denny has a handy supply of fishing line to use....and presto!

What fun I had!  In no time at all I had made three of them and became pretty excited about this upcoming workshop!  Here are two of my quick creations:








I decided to just do a display with these!
Now I can't wait to help out at the workshop!  These would make some awesome gifts!  Check this video out and consider having some fun!  It is quick to do and fairly inexpensive!  We figure the cost for this workshop will be less than $10 a Kokedoma!

Video on how to make a Kokedama CLICK HERE



No comments:

Post a Comment