Sunday, June 21, 2020

The third pollinator garden bed planted!

Finally, the mulch for Diamond Ridge Park was delivered and volunteers spread it so we were
able to plant!  I bid farewell to the rest of the 150+ plants I had been gathering and tending for these 3 gardens! 

I guess our volunteers were worked out as it was only Jana, the leader of the project, her husband and 3 kids and myself who showed up to plant one evening at 7 PM.  Almost three hours later we picked up our shovels, empty pots, etc. and headed for home in the dark!

But we had three energetic creative kids who soon got bored with the playground equipment and got involved in planting and watering the plants!  It became a family affair, which was rewarding and helpful!  Good kids and they had a good time!

Currently we are waiting for approval from the Park Department to OK our plan to install water barrels at each bed to be filled weekly by a volunteer for the summer to enable us to have a convenient method to water our young plants to help them grow strong roots.  Little did we realize at this location we would be involved in a battle with rabbits over our plants right away!  Just a few days later I was called into action with my rabbit/deer spray!  There must be a herd of them there so I am arming my sprayer with a new big jug of concentrate and am preparing to win the war!





No comments:

Post a Comment