Friday, September 5, 2014

"Out of Africa"..... Miniature Garden

What a fun little garden this is!

I had the elephant, purchased at a garage sale last year and the little armadillo from another garage sale in AZ the year before.  So I was inspired to planted this little gem of a mini garden last summer with a Dwarf Goatsbeard, miniature hosta 'Venusta', & some low annual plants and loved it.  This winter I found this little giraffe in a thrift shop in AZ and quickly decided he would enjoy my elephant as a friend so I rescued him!  I could hardly wait for spring to bring this garden back to life!   Yep, the goatsbeard and hosta survived winter just fine so I added a few more small plants and another mini hosta so the wildlife settled in quickly and happily.  I pruned and deadheaded it in July and last week it was overgrown again (2nd picture) so I did some more pruning and adjusting resulting in picture 3).  It loves my part shade/part sun location on the back deck!  Very little work involved beyond watering and monthly trimming but so many smiles when people see it! 

May 2014 
Aug 2014 needs trimming back!
Aug 2014 after trimming and adjusting
 








No comments:

Post a Comment