Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Hosta's on my mind today....

Wow, there are now over 5,000 registered varieties of hostas today....

Yea, there certainly is more than the green and the green and white one in this world!  Hybridizers are creating new ones every year! 

About 12 years ago I was bitten by the "hosta bug" and started featuring a variety of hostas in my garden beds.  I manage to keep about 210 varieties growing.   Although my beds, where I have the right light conditions, are full I am always interested in looking and considering a new variety or so.  A recent visit to my favorite place, 'Turkey Run Hostas' is always a fun experience (not to mention a chance to visit with Jean and Gerry)!    Here is one 'biggie' hosta that keeps telling me it would like to live at my house!  It is spectacular!  Maybe next year I'll weaken if they have it in stock and I can figure out where I can plant it!


H. World Cup  30" High x 48" Wide
Parents: Komodo Dragon  x Super Bowl
Registered by Beilstein/Zilis 2006

 
Also, they have a bed of hostas they are testing to consider adding to their inventory and I spotted a few there that are very interesting!  I'll be watching to see if they meet their criteria to sell in the future!  These are definitely different than any others I have and very attractive:


H. Good Friday

H. Palm Sunday


 

1 comment:

  1. That Palm Sunday is really different. I have noticed that the variegation is often not uniform on each leaf. Nonetheless, it is fascinating to look at. Haven't decided yet if I want this one.

    ReplyDelete