Monday, September 8, 2014

Cluck, cluck, cluck....

Hens and Chickens!  Don't we all have some?

I used to get some and then before long they died!  Yep, my thumb had not turned green yet!  I thought everything grew well with lots of water!  Then I visited my friend, Margie,  who kept giving me a new batch every so often.  I noticed her hens and chicks hatching area was a gravel path!  So, I had a "light bulb" moment!  They like good drainage (not my clay soil), little water and maximum sun!  Presto, my thumb turned green! 

Now I always have hens and chicks to give away!  My favorite way to raise my chicks is in minimum soil and mulched in pea gravel!  I have some in a large plant saucer;  two old men's work shoes are overflowing;  they are great in fairy gardens as little shrubs and I finally achieved my dream of a large succulent wreath and filled a strawberry jar to fabulous status!  I got a blue ribbon at the county fair years ago with a pair of my old sneakers bursting with them!

Wintering these creations over is a breeze, I usually just tuck them in a sheltered corner and put a bag of leaves on top of them in November. (I put the strawberry jar and wreath in the garage.)  In April I remove the leaf bags, give them a drink of water, put them in the sun and soon they are lookin' mighty fine again!


Two years old, started with some big hens!

I intended to hang the wreath on my privacy fence some place but haven't gotten that done yet.  Maybe next year?  Meanwhile it just sort of hangs around on the floor of my little deck!


1 year old and growing!


No comments:

Post a Comment