Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Peperomia

This spring we visited IKEA in the Twin Cities.  On my way out I spotted a lovely house plant that caught my eye with its distinctive coloring and leaf texture.  It was a reasonable price and it hopped right into my cart!  No name on it, of course.  It turned out to be a prize house plant as it thrived with neglect, medium light conditions and fairly slow growth pattern.  It stayed attractive in size and leaves were always healthy looking while never drooping or looking withered from lack of moisture!  Finally, I found the name 'Peperomia' on a plant like this in a local store and made a note of it.

Recently I was in the Hort. Dept. at RCTC, our local college, and found a similar plant with red edges on the leaves and the leaves were more elongated than the one I have, but  no question that it belonged to the same family.  I asked what kind of plant it was and Robin said it was a 'Peperomia' so I quickly decided to take it home for only $5!  Then I went directly to my computer and started some research!  Wow!  Would you believe there are a 1,000 plants in this family!  Needless to say, I have a long list of rare ones that I'd love to have!   

My original plant Peperomia obtusifolia  'Golden Gate

My new plant  Peperomia' clusifolia 'Variegata'
  FOR MORE INFORMATION ON PEPEROMIA CLICK HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment