Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Hi! I'm back!

I'm back!   So many of you have asked me to continue my Over The Garden Gate Blog...because they've been missing them!  Finally, after getting a call from Iowa this Saturday, asking me again....  I decided to reactive my blog!   OK, Bev!  


What happened?   I don't know how to explain it, but I think I just ran into a time period where I just had run out of ideas and inspiration and never got around to another posting!

Recently my husband and I made a big change in our lifestyle by selling our little red cabin on German Lake in Southern Minnesota.  This change means we will be spending 24/7 at our home in Rochester, Minnesota for nine months of the year!   I will have some time to become involved again in my Over The Garden Gate Blog!  So, here goes... once again!

What's been happening lately in  my gardening adventures and activities?  I began my fall garden clean up yesterday by pulling out a forest of maple trees that have sprouted from the spring seed event of our neighbor's tree!  I had been keeping up with them thru the summer, but had recently fallen behind!

I noticed many of the summer annuals and perennials are winding down their blooms but a few have just begun their bloom season!  So, I took the opportunity to do a bit of cutting back and admiring my first ever planting of Morning Glories!  I have three huge trellis that Denny had built for me, which allow space for two clematis on each one.  I finally gave up investing in clematis along side the garage due to not being successful in treating them for a disease where they die back mid year and eventually disappear.  So I am looking for plants to replace the clematis on those trellis!  Any suggestions?  It is a sun in the morning and shade in the afternoon area.

I decided to try Morning Glories for a new experience on the trellis that receives the most sun.
I planted 4 started plants and after a slow start they grew and grew and grew.  In fact, they have been trying to come thru the porch and were aiming at the sliding door into the dining room!  It has kept us busy redirecting and pruning the aggressive vines!  Much to my delight and surprise it turned out to have white blooms instead of the blue and they are huge, about 5 inches across!  Yep, I think I'll try them again next year but reduce the count to two plants!



No comments:

Post a Comment