Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Dragon Wing or Angel Wing Begonias

My favorite annual!

I've discovered they grow and bloom from spring to frost and provide abundant color and lushness to any full sun, part shade or shady area!  They are great directly in the garden soil but I enjoy them most in containers!

Big containers provide me with loads of lush color and save me watering time.  Any containers I have must have the ability to thrive and survive up to four days without water during the heat of our MN summer season!  



One of my favorite garden centers is near our cabin and I get my order in early for 23 of their first crop of begonias because their plants are not only huge but healthy and ready to enjoy immediately.  This year I decided to use the pink ones that have the darker leaves at home and the red ones with dark green leaves at the lake!  They also have a light pink color as well as a white and I've used them also but prefer the brighter colors!

The above picture is of three of my large containers at home. Each of them have only three plants in them!  That totals only $15 per container for plants!  Lots of bang for the buck! 

I only replace the upper third of the container with new soil each spring!  A handful of water holding crystals with the new soil to ensure my 4 days without watering will be met and they are good to go for the summer with some occasional fertilizing!




No comments:

Post a Comment