Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Winterizing fairy gardens...

includes tucking the accessories inside for the winter to protect them and preparing their garden homes so the perennial plants can go to sleep for the winter.  Looks a bit dreary when I peek at them now while they are "cooling down" for their nap.  We are expecting a bit of snow tomorrow, which  will give them a drink while they are waiting for the deeper freeze to settle in.

Once they are pretty well frozen and temps low enough in the garage to keep them from thawing they will get moved into their snug winter home under the boat and trailer.  A handful of snow about once a month will give them a bit of moisture until about mid April.  Then my fun begins as I wake them up with a bit of compost, vitamins (slow release fertilizer) and moisture after I clear off the dead plant material and begin treating them to some sunshine in the driveway during the nice days.  I dearly enjoy watching them "wake up" to spring and begin another season of growing!  An experience in faith indeed!

While they sleep I will be dreaming up some new landscape designs for them and finding some new garden art to incorporate into the designs.  January will find me in AZ doing a demo/seminar for snowbirds on creating fairy/miniature gardens using desert succulents!  It is so fun to share this fun!





No comments:

Post a Comment