Friday, June 12, 2015

Shades of indigo blue

 caught my eye in Cindy's garden this last week!

This sight brought forth memories of my granddaughter's wedding.  She had asked me to make a few bouquets for her wedding reception which led me to asking Cindy if I could harvest some foliage from her Baptisia.  Cindy responded telling me her Baptisia would be honored to be at my Heather's wedding reception!

It is interesting to learn why the common names this plant has are wild indigo or false indigo   Europeans used to pay Americans to grow it, for the dye they made from the blue flowers. That's why it's called False Indigo. Indigo was expensive and Baptisia grew like a weed.

Baptisia australis’                

For more information on this plant:  http://www.perennials.com/plants/baptisia-australis.html

No comments:

Post a Comment