Wednesday, May 20, 2020

I went to a neighborhood meeting.....

A month or so ago I decided to check out our neighborhood group.....  little did I know what I was getting into!

The announcement was they had received a $1,000 grant to add something nice to our neighborhood and what can we manage to do with $1,000 that will have some impact!   Well, someone suggested we have three neighborhood parks and how about a Pollinator Garden Bed in each of those parks might fit the $1,000!  Would you believe I agreed that was a super idea?   

Well, next thing I knew I was scouting out a location for one of the beds in one of the parks along with two other gals!  Next step was submitting the locations to the park department for their approval, etc.   Next thing I knew I was researching pollinator gardens and native plants!    Native plants I knew nothing about but I sure came up the learning curve thanks to the internet. Perfect project for this safe distancing and stay at home lifestyle we find ourselves in right now!   Long story made short, I have 150 plants on order for the three garden beds.  Finding the resources for obtaining the plants was an experience of highs and lows as it seems they are very popular this year!  And not many growers in our SE MN area!  But, they are on order!  I will have native plants galore within three weeks!  Hope I get my own plants I have collected to plant in my own garden beds by then!

Next step, is to wait until the team to prep the garden beds has them ready for planting!  Then we hunt for neighbors who want to have fun planting and taking care of our new garden beds this summer!  

Here is a picture of the spot in Judd Park that I plotted out!  We'll follow the journey in future blogs!

Yep, just imagine what a few flowers can do for this spot!



No comments:

Post a Comment