Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Cooler temps are coming.....

Time to start thinking about what to do with the container plantings and fairy gardens that use desert succulents in them!  30 degrees outside is about the maximum temperature they will survive in!

I am including a link to a website that has some good information on what to do to move your desert succulents into the house for the winter.  Or, you can do what I occasionally do, consider them annuals like I do other plants that won't survive our MN temperatures lower than 32 degrees.  In the past found I've found new homes for them and even have composted them with other annuals. 

I do have a neighbor that is willing to come in and water them for me while we are gone south for three months this winter!  So I am considering bringing them all inside this year.  I do have a fairy garden I brought in last year and took with me to and from AZ and enjoyed it again this summer. 

Needless to say, my husband thought I was crazy!  But I just considered it's like his golf clubs, they go to AZ and come back to MN with us! 

This is a new fairy garden this year!

This is a hanging planter I brought to MN from AZ this year!

This is a new container I planted this year!
 The below link is to a website that has lots of information on wintering over desert succulents.  It advertises books but  I follow this website because there are often lots of good information in it!
For information in bringing succulents indoors for MN winters.. CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment